Friday, August 13, 2004

Google Search: Blandot

Google Search: Blandot Who is Blandot anyway and why is the name connected with blogs?

Not essentially Egyptian but it's a reasonable question. As I was talking on the phone to a friend this evening, she mentioned looking up the name, which she had been told was the name of an actor, on Google but finding only a series of references to blogs that all seemed to have the same text but just different words inserted. The name Blandot was one of the few constants. Having come down to Sharm where I actually have a connection with a decent speed, I decided to look it up myself. The first reference on Google is to an H.P. Lovecraft story (never liked the writer much personally) and then just the situation described to me. Each site has a comment or two with a different variation on the theme but the inserted words refer to financial advice, dating and sexual activities, prescription painkillers, and online gambling. My friend asked if blogs had to do with coding messages or something, but I had to admit that mine certainly don't. These would appear to have them.

So what's the story/stories with Mr. Blandot? Looks like blogspam to me.

3 comments:

Dione said...

Dear Mrs. Stroud,
As I can read in your Blogger Profile, you are figuring out what to be when you grow up: I humbly suggest you to become a writer, and I'll surely be delighted to read all your books, just as I've been while reading your posts.

Thanks for your kind attention.

(Mr.) Dione Maretta (from Rio, Brazil.)

ELS Houston said...

Hi there,
I'm so excited to have come across your blog. Not only do you write very well, but you're living an extremely intriguing life. As a liberal (ugh...I wish there were another word for that) American, I'm, at first, puzzled by a Canadian's decision to move to Egypt. However, I'm sure that is just a ploy of my own perception.
I'm a 23 y.o. ESL teacher, studying Arabic, really drawn to the Middle East. I'll certainly continue to read, but would really like to ask you questions (in the appropriate venue).
Sincerely,
Nathan
nathanwebbherrington@yahoo.com
algoprofundo.blogspot.com

Bjetsey said...

sometimes people post a combination of link words and links to get google to connect those in the search.
for example. you'd put in (replacing ( with <, etc):

(a href="http://whitehouse.gov")miserable failure(/a)

and if enough people did it, when you typed "miserable failure" into google's search, it would pop out with the whitehouse bio of bush. which is does.
as when you type in "waffles" you alllmost get John Kerry.
it's one of those games that people play.

btw - I enjoy your blog. thanks. :)