Friday, April 22, 2005

An Interesting Egyptian News Source

Egypt Election

Every so often I Google the word "egypt" just to see what comes up and I usually like to use the Google news to get a broad view of what the world thinks is happening here. In the course of checking information on the bombing in Cairo, I ran across a site called Egypt Election Daily News. I emailed the people running it and got an answer after a day or so. Turns out to be the brainchild of an Egyptian living in London who felt that it was too hard for people to get information on Egypt that was relatively unbiassed. So he set up his own website that compiles news stories on Egypt and our neighbours and the range of articles is quite fun. You can read about our movie stars, our sports, the impact of technology on the region, all sorts of things.

I check Egypt Election every day as part of my news routine and find all varieties of interesting stories. For example, did you know that you can now email the new pope? Now that is a fascinating concept. There is something utterly unpopely about emailing the pontiff, but on the other hand, I believe that it is a healthy sign.

When my daughter was here in January she bought me a television set and arranged for me to get BBC World on cable so that I could watch the news if I wanted. Once in a while I do, but I'm much more likely to sit down for an old X-Files episode. I can get much better news coverage from the net, frankly. I mean, where else can you get the Chinese angle on events in Cairo? The old intro to the X-Files used to say "The truth is out there" and I suspect that it is somewhere. Now there is another way to look for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, Egypt is thought of as a very poor desert place but in your words it seems like just another place. I don't rate but it was a good read I thought.