Saturday, August 27, 2005

Other Egyptian Bloggers

I ran across Baheyya's blog while looking up something on the net. That's one of the things that I love about the internet, the serendipitous encounters of ideas and thoughts that are so easy. I get Slate and there was a reference to a blog written by an American in Iraq who is following US forces and writing war stories. Apparently, and not too surprisingly, he is the darling of the right neo-cons....equally unsurprisingly, I wasn't so thrilled with his blog. In the process of checking out Michael Yon's work, I found Baheyya. She's much more political than I am, which is appropriate because she is Egyptian and has much more pertinent comments on the political scene than I do. I highly recommend her. Go check her out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are tens of good egyptian blogs, on a free day you should check the egyptian blogs aggregator

and of course the Egyptian blogs ring

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani said...

Thanks, Alaa. I knew that I could count on you to help me out with those sites. I had them on my browser and lost them. Now if someone could just help me figure out how to put my favourite links on the page.....

Carol said...

I just wanted to say how much I love your posts. You write beautifully.

Choco Pie said...

I second Carol's comment.

I found your blog quite serendipitously while looking for stuff about expats.

My husband is Palestinian and he just went to Egypt on a business trip a few months ago. First time he has been there and he's very enthusiastic, so maybe we will go there on vacation sometime. However, the Egypt you are seeing is quite different from what the typical tourist would see, which is what I like about your perspective.

Colleen said...

Hi Maryanne :)

Been lurking on your blog for a long time (before moving to Egypt). I must say that your blog helped me get through the hard parts of living here. I am an American married to an Egyptian, living in Alex for...oh my gosh 10 months today lol...time flies. I have been to Giza and Cairo on many occasions. I love your photos. My blog is http://apassagetoegypt.blogspot.com Just ur blog about the trials of a mid 20's girl trying to fit in this country somehow...and all my adventures along the way.

Again, thanks for letting me "see" into your world.

Layla

Anonymous said...

...i am a retired university proff.and still trying to find what i want to be...i guess we need to keep reinventing ourselves all to time to remain mentally alive ..how to go to baheyya? htis is my first ever!!!

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani said...

The title of the post is a link to Baheyya and there is another link in the first post by Alaa. Some really great blogs being written here in Egypt. I was just checking Alaa and Manal's site a few minutes ago. You can spend days reading....